Tehran Times, September 04 2013: … An advisor to Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said reports that security forces had opened fire on the residents were baseless and said that Maliki had ordered an investigation into what had happened. “We want to know the truth,” advisor Ali al-Moussawi said. He said it was unclear what had caused the blast in the morning. Residents could have been killed …
TEHRAN – The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has praised the efforts of Iraqi “Mujahid brothers” for dealing with members of the terrorist group Mojahedin Khalq Organization (MKO).
According to reports at least 52 members of the MKO were killed at Ashraf Camp, northeast of Baghdad, on Sunday.
Clashes and explosions were reported in the camp, which prior to the clashes housed 100 members of the group, but Iraqi officials denied they had carried out a military offensive.
Two Iraqi security sources said that army and special forces had opened fire on MKO members who had stormed a post at the entrance to Camp Ashraf, a site that Iraq’s government wants closed down, Reuters reported.
An advisor to Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said reports that security forces had opened fire on the residents were baseless and said that Maliki had ordered an investigation into what had happened.
“We want to know the truth,” advisor Ali al-Moussawi said. He said it was unclear what had caused the blast in the morning. Residents could have been killed in the explosion or through infighting at the camp, he said.
In a statement, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon appealed for the urgent restoration of security in the camp. Baghdad should “promptly investigate the incident and disclose the findings,” he said.
However, there are conflicting reports about the incident.
According to AFP, the Iraqi official responsible for the camp, Haqi al-Sharifi, said, “Not a single soldier entered Camp Ashraf.”
“There was no attack from outside against the camp, but what seems to have happened is some barrels of oil and gas inside Ashraf exploded. The police are investigating.”
A police source told AFP, however, that five mortars landed in Ashraf on Sunday morning.
The MKO, meanwhile, said that the Iraqi army had entered Ashraf and killed a number of its members and set fire to the group’s property in the camp.
The group had previously reported that Iraqi authorities cut off electricity and water supplies to Camp Ashraf about two weeks ago.
The MKO, taken off the U.S. list of terrorist organizations last year, fought alongside the forces of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein against Iran in the 1980s.
The group is no longer welcome in Iraq after U.S.-led forces invaded and toppled Saddam in 2003.
The MKO insists that the United States, whose forces initially helped them settle in Ashraf after the 2003 invasion, still bears responsibility for their safety.
UN News Centre, AUgust 02 2013: … “The Secretary-General deplores the tragic events in Camp Ashraf today that have reportedly left 47 killed,” his spokesperson said in a statement. “He expresses his sorrow and extends his deepest condolences to the families of the victims.” Iraqi authorities have confirmed that medical support is being delivered to the Camp, according to the UN …
Press release from European Union and also from British Foreign Office, August 03 2013: … Our Embassy in Baghdad is in close contact with the United Nations Assistance Mission in Iraq, who are making an urgent assessment of the situation. We support their work, and call on the Government of Iraq to assist the UN fully. The Government of Iraq must also do everything necessary to …
Adam Schrick, Associated Press, Baghdad, September 02 2013: … A United Nations team on Monday visited a contentious Iranian dissident camp in Iraq where multiple residents were killed the previous day in unclear circumstances, as the Iraqi government pledged to launch a probe into the bloodshed. The facts of what happened at Camp Ashraf are in dispute, including the number of …
Ashraf News, Baghdad, August 25 2013: … Al-Falluji told Ashraf News that the Mojahedin Khalq enjoys unconditional support from the U.S. Department of Defense, adding that “the existence of this organization in Iraq poses a challenge for the country, especially with the growing violence in the country and the events experienced by Syria”. He concluded that the situation posed …
Press TV, August 24 2013: … Nisman solely listened to the testimonies of members of Mujahedin-e Khalq Organization, which is an anti-Iran terrorist group. The MKO-with a history of bombings in Iran and which has been paradoxically removed from the US State Department’s list of terrorist groups- seems to have convinced Nisman regarding AMIA center killing. Did they convince him? Or are there other players in this case? …
Iran Review, August 22 2013: … The U.S. move to delist the MEK was a very hypocritical move—and even a very stupid move. It was based on a passionate but irrational dependence on Israel, large amounts of money changing hands, and an utterly unreasonable desire to punish Iran through any means possible. The MEK are bloodthirsty terrorists. But the U.S. harbors Luis Posada Carrilles in its very midst, the terrorist responsible for bringing down a Cuban airliner …